An upset stomach can be quite painful, bringing with it discomfort in your abdominal area. This uncomfortable feeling in your stomach could go away on its own, but you may have to wait it out for several hours.
If your upset stomach persists for longer periods, or it is recurring after trying out the nine easy natural remedies to get rid of an upset stomach in five minutes, then your upset stomach might have other root causes that may need urgent medical attention.
Common Causes of Upset Stomach
- Stress: Stress is one major cause of an upset stomach; you get that fluffy feeling in your stomach when you’re nervous, upset, or excited. The good news is this feeling doesn’t last long, and hopefully, does not require any treatment.
- Food poisoning: Sometimes, your body reacts violently to contaminated foods by developing nasty symptoms, which includes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain, which could go away within a few days; but why wait a few couple days when you can make it disappear within 5 minutes by trying out the natural remedies I will be recommending in this post?
- Indigestion is a common symptom of an upset stomach, and it is often caused by consuming much junk food, eating too fast, smoking, or consuming alcohol.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): You may be having IBS if you experience an upset stomach regularly. IBS commonly causes cramps, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.
Irrespective of the cause of an upset stomach, here are 9 easy natural remedies that can relieve you from an upset stomach in five minutes.
9 Easy and Natural Remedies to Get Rid Of Upset Stomach in 5 Minutes
Ginger contains the active ingredients gingerols and shogaols, both of which help to improve indigestion and ease up bowel movement. It also helps to alleviate diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
How to treat upset stomach with Ginger
- Slice up a few pieces of ginger rhizome in a cup of hot water
- Consume after 5 minutes to bring immediate relief from an upset stomach.
- Alternatively, tea bags work equally well too.
Peppermint is a common treatment for indigestion, bloating, and diarrhea in India and Pakistan. It contains active ingredients that prevent vomiting and diarrhea, reduce muscle spasms in the abdominal region, and relieve cramps.
How to treat upset stomach with peppermint
- Option 1: add 3 to 5 fresh or dried peppermint leaves to a cup of boiled water, allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes before consumption
- Option 2: Boil 3 peppermint leaves with cardamom tea, or mix with other types of beverages
- Option 3: Get premade peppermint tea bags and fix yourself a cup of flavored peppermint tea.
3. Heating Bags
Heat helps to relax tense abdominal muscles and ease cramps. Therefore, you might want to sit in a warm bathtub a little longer.
How to cure upset stomach with heat
- Option 1: sit in a bathtub of warm water for 20 minutes while you gently massage your abdominal area
- Option 2: Massage your abdominal area gently for 20 minutes using a heat bag or pad. You can purchase a heating bag from the store or make one for yourself by filling a cloth sack with rice and microwaving it for 30 seconds.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda contains the active ingredient sodium bicarbonate, which neutralizes excess stomach acid causing upset stomach, draws water into the colon, and eases up constipation.
How to treat Stomach with Baking Soda
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a half cup of water
- Drink immediately
5. Rice Water
An upset stomach can also be caused by irritation in the stomach lining or excess stomach acid secretion.
Drinking rice water can soothe the stomach lining, dilute the stomach acid, and reduce cramps.
Cinnamon is best used in powdery form; grind dried cinnamon bark to powdery form to make your cinnamon powder.
How to treat upset stomach fast with stomach acid
- Boil rice in excess water until the rice is softened
- Consume the rice and rice water to bring immediate relief to stomach pains.
Cinnamon is a potent cure for IBS; it is packed with antioxidants like cinnamaldehyde, linalool, camphor, and eugenol, which eases indigestion, relieves bloating, heal intestinal damage, and tackle other digestive disorders.
How to treat upset stomach with Cinnamon
- Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a cup of hot water
- Allow to steep for 10 minutes before consuming
- Repeat two to three times daily to relieve indigestion
- Alternatively, add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to your meal and consume.
7. Coconut Water
Coconut water is rich in potassium and magnesium, and it has been used to relieve upset stomach, muscle spasms, cramps, and other digestive disorders.
It is low in acidity and calories; this makes it a better option for rehydrating the body.
How to treat an upset stomach with coconut water
- Drink a cup or two of coconut water slowly
- Repeat every 4 hours until you feel relieved.
8. Basil Leaves
Basil contains a high amount of linoleic acid, eugenol, and other types of antioxidants that help to reduce inflammation, relieve bloating and cramps, neutralize stomach acid, improve appetite, and aid digestion.
How to treat upset stomach fast with basil leaves
- Option 1: blend 6 leaves of fresh basil leaves in a cup of water to make a concoction, consume immediately to relieve upset stomach
- Option 2: Make green tea with fresh basil leaves by seeping 3 basil leaves in a cup of hot water
- Option 3: Add a teaspoon of powered basil leaves to a cup of tea or a meal and consume for instant relief.
9. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a revered remedy for treating all types of stomach/abdominal disorders.
It neutralizes excess stomach acid, eases bowel movement, relieves nausea and vomiting, prevents acid reflux, improves protein digestion, serves anti-inflammatory purposes, and promotes the growth of healthy bacteria.
How to treat upset stomach fast with Aloe vera
- Squeeze and consume two tablespoons of aloe vera gel for fast relief from an upset stomach
- Alternatively, Slice two big sizeable aloe vera leaves into small chunks
- Soak in a bottle or jar of water for 3 days
- Consume half cup of the juice before breakfast
With any of the remedies recommended above, you should get fast relief from an upset stomach. However, if severe symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting last beyond a day, you should seek immediate medical attention.
You should consult a doctor if you’re suffering from symptoms such as blood in the stool, arm pain, severe weight loss, pain urinating, lump in the stomach, fever, and other persistent upset stomach symptoms.
Overall, you can keep an upset stomach at arm’s length by engaging in a healthy living lifestyle such as:
- drinking lots of water daily
- Eating foods rich in fiber such as whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables
- Substituting red meat for lean meat, fish, and egg
- Quitting smoking and heavy alcohol consumption
- Exercising daily (30 minutes of brisk walk daily can do)